The Global Health Security Agenda
“…we must come together to prevent, and detect, and fight every kind of biological danger—whether it’s a pandemic like H1N1, or a terrorist threat, or a treatable disease.” -President Barack Obama, 2011
The Global Health Security agenda: In partnership with other nations, international organizations and public and private stakeholders, we seek to accelerate progress toward a world safe and secure from infectious disease threats and to promote global health security as an international security priority.
- Preventing and reducing the likelihood of outbreaks – natural, accidental, or intentional – is essential.
- Detecting threats early saves lives.
- Rapid, effective response requires multi-sectoral, international coordination and communication.
Working together with partners around the world in support of the nine objectives of our Global Health Security agenda, we seek to prioritize coordinated action and specific, measurable steps focused on: preventing epidemics, detecting biological threats early, and rapidly responding to disease outbreaks, whether naturally occurring, intentionally produced, or accidentally caused.
Today’s Global Health Security Risks:
- Emergence and spread of new microbes;
- Globalization of travel and trade;
- Rise of drug resistance; and
- Potential for accidental release, theft or illicit use.
Through the Global Health Security agenda, the United States seeks to accelerate progress toward a world safe and secure from infectious disease threats and to promote global health security as an international security priority. To achieve these goals is important to coordinate the many departments and agencies that will play a role in the Global Health Security agenda, including the Departments of Health and Human Services, Agriculture, State, Defense, and the U.S. Agency for International Development.
- While progress has been made, there is much work to do in order to achieve the comprehensive, global system that is needed to defend against biological threats.
- Working together toward the aims of the Global Health Security agenda, the United States and partners around the world will protect populations from pandemic threats, economic loss, instability, and loss of life.
U.S. Government Partners include:
- Global Health Security Agenda: Toward a World Safe & Secure from Infectious Disease Threats (PDF 721KB)
- Accelerating Progress on the Global Health Security Agenda (PDF 689KB)
- Global Health Security - Vision and Overarching Target (PDF 812KB)
- U.S. Commitment to the Global Health Security Agenda: Toward a World Safe & Secure from Infectious Disease Threats (PDF 3.2MB)